Autumn has been a busy time for the Garrett County Arts Council, especially in The Gallery Shop! Located at 108 S. Second Street in Oakland, MD, The Gallery Shop, is a Garrett County Arts Council program designed to support our visual artist and creative writing community.
This retail storefront is open Monday through Saturday from 10am-5:30pm year-round and provides a space where art lovers and holiday gift givers can view and purchase local and regional artwork, and therefore, support our artists in their growth and artistic development.
The Gallery Shop staff just finished a Fall “clean up” renovation and a new wall hanging to prepare for the holiday rush. We have something truly unique for everyone on your shopping list:
• A wide array of handcrafted jewelry to show someone how special they are;
• Ceramic mugs, bowls, and plates for the perfect table setting;
• Cutting boards, cheese boards, bowls, platters and plates, and
wooden ornaments are gifts that keep giving;
• Yarn, woven jackets, marbled scarves, knitwear and felted hats will keep you warm and cheerful during the winter months;
• Warm up your home with quilted wall hangings and fiber artwork;
• Handmade soaps for your stockings;
• Catnip toys for the pet lover;
• Spruce up your mantle with a new watercolor, acrylic, oil or mixed-media painting;
• Check out the popular photographs of Garrett County historic sites, land marks and area flora and fauna;
• Children’s books, novels and bookmarks for the bookworm in your family; and
• Cards for every special occasion (they can even be framed as a gift).
The Gallery Shop is proud to currently have works on display from over 150 artists. Artists who reside, work, attend school or own property in Garrett County or one of the contiguous counties (Allegany County MD; Preston, Mineral Tucker, and Grant County, WV; Somerset and Fayette County, PA) are all eligible to apply.
Congratulations to the four new artists who were juried into The Gallery Shop during September 2019:
Jessica Bailey, Photography: Nature photography with a focus on birds;
Robert Caron, Oil Painting: Large atmospheric and realistic oil paintings of idyllic scenes;
Jolecia Crowe, Jewelry: Polymer clay jewelry with delicate flowers and shimmering stones;
Tammy Stump, Photography: Nature photography that captures a peek into classic local scenery;
Returning Oil Painter, Catherine Peacock: Realistic local wildlife and still life paintings.
If you are interested in becoming a juried artist at The Gallery Shop, please contact The Gallery Shop Manager, Rachel Precht, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The official arts agency of the county, the Garrett County Arts Council, Inc. is funded by Maryland State Arts Council, Garrett County Government, and through your membership support. For more information, please contact GCAC offices at email@example.com or 301-334-6580.